World Environment Day is a Global event which is celebrated on the 5th of June.
Do you know that the first world environment day was held in which year? The first World Environment Day was observed in 1973. The slogan for the first World Environment Day was “Only One Earth”. It has been celebrated annually ever since with different slogans and themes to address different environmental issues.
World Environment Day holds a great significance today, in the backdrop of global warming, accelerated melting of glaciers and the overall degradation of the environment. The day is celebrated to encourage people around the world to take action towards environmental protection and sustainability. It also aims to serve a reminder to people about our responsibilities in taking crucial steps to safeguard our planet and its resources for future generations and for ourselves.
Origins of the World Environment Day
Between June 5-16, 1972, Sweden hosted the United Nations Conference on Human Environment, which was the first ever global environment conference. This conference is also known as the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment or the Stockholm Conference. Subsequently, on December 15, 1972, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution designating June 5, as the World Environment Day. Another resolution passed on the same day, led to the creation of the United Nations Environment Programme (“UNEP”).
The UNEP is the leading world authority on the environment.
Also Read, Interesting Facts About The World Turtle Day
Theme for World Environment Day 2023
Each year, the World Environment Day is given a unique theme, which focuses on particular points and missions that help in the safekeeping of our environment. The motive of the theme is also to guide the day’s activities.
2023 marks the 50th anniversary of the World Environment Day celebrations.
The theme for World Environment Day 2023 is #BeatPlasticPollution.
This theme is being inaugurated by the UNEP to focus on pollution caused by plastic and aims to find solutions to plastic pollution under this campaign.
World Environment Day Poster
Just like a different theme, there is a different poster aligned with World Environment Day every year. World Environment Day presents a unique poster to represent the unique theme and spread awareness. The World Environment Day 2023 poster showcases its primary message through vivid imagery and illustrations in highlighting the significance of #BeatPlasticPollution in preserving and safeguarding our environment.
World Environment Day 2023 Host
Every year the World Environment day is hosted by the United Nations Environment Programme. They intend on running drives, making people aware and encouraging new thoughts and ideas that might be beneficial to the environment. They have been celebrating it since 1973.
World Environment Day 2023 is hosted by Côte d’Ivoire in partnership with the Netherlands.
‘Côte d’Ivoire’ is showing leadership in the campaign against plastic pollution. The decision came due to the groundbreaking efforts they have made including the fact that since 2014, they have banned the use of plastic bags, supporting a shift to reusable packaging. The country’s largest city, Abidjan, has also become a hub for environmentally minded start-ups.
World Environment Day Quotes
Quotes have the power to inspire and motivate people to learn, become aware and then subsequently take further steps in safeguarding our environment and the planet Earth. Here are some of the most powerful and impactful quotes shared regarding the importance of the environment.
- “The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” – Lady Bird Johnson
- “We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.” – Native American Proverb.
- “The environment and the economy are really both two sides of the same coin. If we cannot sustain the environment, we cannot sustain ourselves.” – Wangari Maathai
Helping the Environment
Everyone can do their bit to save the Earth. Here are a things you can do:
- Learn more about sustainable development and understand how you can contribute to conserving the planet and its resources.
- Run environment campaigns in schools, colleges, offices, neighbourhoods and communities so that everyone can take individual and collective measures.
- Save the environment resources as much as possible, by saving water and energy.
- Eat seasonal and local food.
- Walk or carpool to school.
How to Celebrate World Environment Day
Several organisations come together on World Environment Day to celebrate and commemorate the day. People can join in the activities to celebrate and make better use of our environment and work towards its sustainability. Here are a few ideas to celebrate this important day.
- Planting trees and creating green spaces in our community.
- Joining or organising clean-up drives to remove waste from public areas is a great way of celebrating World Environment Day.
- Spreading the word about environmental issues through social media campaigns and local events.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle to minimise waste generation.
- Educate yourself and others about sustainable practices and try new ways to reduce plastic pollution.
- Follow the theme of the World Environment Day 2023 and try to reduce the use of plastic, research about the use of plastic and how it is harmful and try to minimise it at your end.
While the World Environment Day is necessary, its most important element is to make sure people understand the meaning of the environment and means for its preservation. Every day should be World Environment Day. There is only one planet and we all need to work collectively to make sure that this one stays healthy and safe, so that we can stay healthy and safe.
Checkout this video, #EverestDay: Meet the 8-Year-Old Braveheart Who Said Hello To Everest