The Indian constitution is the most important book in India. It contains all the rules, regulations, and ideas that govern Indian laws and government. The Constitution of India was drafted or written by a group of people called the Constituent Assembly under the leadership of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar. The Constitution of India was adopted on November 26, 1949, and came into effect on January 26, 1950.
Introduction to The Constitution of India
The Indian Constitution begins with the Preamble text that summarises the object and purpose of the constitution and its functioning. The ideals of the Preamble are borrowed from the French Constitution. The Preamble reads as follows:
WE, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, having solemnly resolved to constitute India into a SOVEREIGN, SOCIALIST, SECULAR, DEMOCRATIC, REPUBLIC and to secure to all its citizens:
JUSTICE, social, economic, and political;
LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith, and worship;
EQUALITY of status and opportunity; and to promote among them all;
FRATERNITY, assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the nation;
IN OUR CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY this twenty-sixth day of November 1949, do HEREBY ADOPT, ENACT AND GIVE TO OURSELVES THIS CONSTITUTION.”
Also checkout, India’s Republic Day: History And Celebrations
Drafting of The Indian Constitution
- The constitution was drafted by the members of the constituent assembly. The authors were Dr. BR Ambedkar (Chairman of the Drafting Committee), BN Rau (Constitutional Advisor to the constituent assembly), and Surendra Nath Mukherjee (Chief Draftsman of the constituent assembly), along with other members of the assembly. There were a total of 284 signatories who were members of the constituent assembly including Jawahar Lal Nehru, Abdul Kalam, Vallabhbhai Patel, and Rajendra Prasad.
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar is also considered the ‘Father of the Constitution as he studied the constitutions of over 60 countries. However, Ambedkar gives credit to BN Rau who was the Constitutional Advisor of the constituent assembly and played a vital role in preparing the constitution’s rough draft of the constitution for the consideration of the Drafting Committee.
- Prem Behari Narain Raizada was the calligrapher who hand-wrote the original constitution in flowing italic style. Artists who decorated and added classical artistry to the constitution were Nand Lal Bose and Beohar Ram Manohar Sinha who belonged to Shantiniketan.
- The Hindi version of the constitution was written by calligrapher Vasant Krishnan Vaidya and was illustrated by the talented artist Nand Lal Bose.
True Facts About the Indian Constitution You Should Know Of
- The Indian Constitution is handwritten in both English and Hindi. Artists have beautifully illustrated it.
- There are three original copies of the Constitution.
- The first president of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, was the first person to sign the Constitution of India.
- The original handwritten copies of the Constitution of India are kept in a special case in the library of the Parliament of India.
- The Constitution of India comprises 470 articles divided into 25 parts, 12 schedules, and 5 appendices.
- It is the largest constitution in the world with over 1.4 lakhs written words.
- The constitution also provides the fundamental rights and duties of the citizen. Every citizen of India is obligated to abide by the fundamental duties and has the freedom to enjoy their fundamental rights.
Watch Full Video On, #AnimalKingdom: Cheetah- The Fastest Mammal on Land